Saturday, December 27, 2014

Mommy shaming

After doing some reading today, something's stuck in my craw. Now I realize I'm not technically a mommy yet as my child is still in utero, but in a few months that will fly by faster than I'm ready for, this little peach will be in my arms. Here's what's been getting me. This phenomenon known as mommy shaming. I doubt I really need to describe exactly what it is. I figured I'd face plenty of unwanted advice when I found out I was pregnant, that's just part of becoming a parent, right? But now you're telling me I'm going to have other moms at the park look down on me for feeding my kid Goldfish crackers instead of some organic cheese snack from Trader Joe's? To try to implement a sleep schedule or not? Let baby cry it out or come running every time? And let's not even touch the breastfeeding argument. It's a total damned if you do, damned if you don't one in my book. People will be upset if I breastfeed in public, and yet other people will be offended if I choose to give my baby formula instead.

Good grief.

STOP.

Can we just...not? Can't we all just support each other in the incredibly difficult journey that is parenthood? I mean, I've already experienced some of this and I'm only four months pregnant!! Honestly, what good does it accomplish putting other people down just because they are doing this parenting thing differently than you? Different does not mean wrong. I feel like I need to repeat that. DIFFERENT DOES NOT MEAN WRONG. I feel like I'm going to need all the help I can get with Peach. The last thing I need when I ask for help is people telling me I'm doing things wrong. Luckily, Husband has been credibly supportive throughout all of this with my opinions about how to do handle certain things. And here I sit, typing this, antsy to actually voice my uncensored opinion about what will be best for us and Peach, as I don't want the backlash which I'm sure will come. Parents don't need to be told they're wrong or horrible people. Know why? Because they're doing the best they can with the situation that they are in. What parents need is support. Especially new and first time parents. We need support. We need people to tell us we're doing a good job, even when we're convinced we're not. And when we do ask for help, please listen to what we are saying and actually asking for.