Saturday, January 30, 2016

Scream

For Christmas, my sister gave me this book:


It was a total surprise, I'd never even heard of this book before then. And I have to say, it is one of my new favorites. I LOVED it. Margee Kerr has my dream job. She has a PhD in sociology (not my dream) and works at a haunted house analyzing what scares people, how they react to different types of scares, and how to make the haunt better. How rad is that?! I can't even remember how many times I've said that if a job like that exists I want it. But you know, I think it's a safe observation to make that once you get a PhD, you can do whatever the heck you want. And a PhD has never interested me. I've always said if I'm going to go to school for that long, I might as well go to medical school. Every now and then I have to remind myself that I gave up the nursing route for a reason. And that the closest PA program to me has an acceptance rate of 3%. Sigh.

Anyway! This book was amazing. She talks about different experiences she had while writing Scream, such as ghost hunting at Eastern State Penitentiary and the CN Tower EdgeWalk. She talks about the psychology of fear, and different types of haunts around the world. As a psychology and Halloween/fear junkie, I devoured this book. I can't say enough good about it, but I don't want to simply give an overview of everything Kerr touches on. That's no fun. I'll just say this: if you have ANY interest at all in psychology, or just love Halloween and being scared, read it!!!

(Here's a link to buy it on Amazon if you feel so inclined.)